Saturday, August 15, 2009

Response to criticism of book excerpt

I got a few positive comments on the last post which contained an excerpt of the book I'm trying to write (when I don't get distracted writing stuff for this blog).

I also, however, got an email from someone essentially saying that he felt the post was so full of anger that it had him looking critically at me. I'm guessing he was trying to evaluate if I was so blinded by my anger that I was no longer objective. He'd hoped for more of an objective, didactic tone, logically examing the reasons for the successes and failures of the company.

It's a fair criticism. I think I may come off poorly based on what I've written, but one really had to be there to understand the feelings we in the group had.

Here was my response:
Okay, so let me preface this by saying that large portions of my time at the company were really horrible, horrible experiences. When you came in to work there I'd already moved over to a new team. I was under a new boss at that point and I really, really respected him, particularly as he was the complete opposite of John: selfless, humble, always willing to discuss his ideas, and someone who, at the end of the day, took responsibility for his actions and work.

In contrast, I really do still see John as a completely amoral individual with borderline psychopathic tendencies. I suppose that may be overstating things a bit, but I honestly saw behaviors from him that I cannot reconcile with any notion of empathy or sympathy for other people. He was a complete narcissist. Ultimately only his own desires and needs mattered to him. Everything else was subservient to his desires. As long as one did not pose a threat to these desires, he could actually seem like a decent guy (I have another anecdote that illustrates this).

You have to understand how truly awful an experience it was to be there during his 'rise to power'. He actively marginalized people like Andrew and I whom he saw as a threat. We had established ourselves, we were his competitors in some sense. He actually *disinvited* Andrew from the team offsite and then made reference to people he called "Devil's Advocates". These were people, John told us, who stood in the way of change and improvement by always offering up reasons things couldn't change. He then told us that someone had been disinvited from the offsite, because he was one of these characters. Since Andrew was the only one not there, it was pretty obvious whom he was referring too. This was just before Andrew was transferred to the 'technology' team, which consisted solely of Matt. I'm fairly certain the whole thing was an attempt at removing Andrew from the group so he'd have no base of power. Matt, I'm sure, was clueless about his complicity.At the time when all the stuff from the excerpt was going on, I literally felt physically nauseated as I drove into work each morning. I was a shell. The stress had always been part of job, of course. That was bad enough. But when John came in and took from us the one thing we did have, which was hope, hope that things could get better, hope that we have *someone* who was sticking up for us, defending us, it was crushing.

Look at the comments on the blog from people who were there. I certainly was not alone in these feelings. In fact, shortly after John took over the group, we had a resume party at Andrew’s house. Every *one* of the SEs--other than those who'd joined *after* John (in my view these were his stooges)--came to update their resumes. Three of us all interviewed with the same company on the same day. Only one person got a job out of it. And the day he turned in his letter of resignation, so did another of the SEs. He was going back to the job he had *before* he started working there, the one he'd left because he was excited about being a programmer rather than just a sysadmin. He went back because he couldn't take it any more.

I honestly had a few weekends where I seriously considered quitting the following Monday. I don't mean toying with the idea, but that I came very close to just walking out. But I didn't. And the day I found out I had been moved over to a new team, and out from under John was the happiest day of my life while there.

So, you have to understand all of these things, when evaluating what I've written. For me, writing the book is as much about catharsis as anything. I and many others still carry around a tremendous amount of resentment about how I was treated. I think this is understandable, though it's not something I'm proud of. If you beat a dog long enough, he *will* turn vicious. It's inevitable. Some people are far more angry than I am. I've learned to largely let go. But the fact that I still find myself writing emails like this, or talking endlessly about my experiences at my last job to my current co-workers, says I've not completely let go. And in writing the book, I really am hoping I can let go of the lingering anger I still feel. In fact, I've quite enjoyed writing it, because while I knew about all the things that angered me, I'd forgotten about many of the great experiences I had while there. I've had to think back and remembering some of those great times has softened my view on the whole experience.

From your email, it sounds like your hope was for me to provide inside into the triumphs and failures of either the company as a whole or my own. I don't know that I have much insight into what the *company* did right or wrong. I have a few thoughts, but certainly nowhere near enough to fill a book. Similarly, I learned a lot during my time there, about what helped me succeed and what hindered my success, but to me again it's more just a journey through time, a view into a young software engineer's eyes as the company he worked for grew and transformed and all the things that occurred along the way. The lessons, well, those largely will have to be inferred by the reader I fear.

6 comments:

Adam said...

I remember the resume party, it was the first step to escaping that hell hole. I remember the day I got the call from my current employer with my new offer. John was actually looking at me with his beady little eyes as I answered my cell phone. I quickly walked outside and sat in my car, discussing the offer.

I remember talking to the recruiter and asking her, "So, I really DO have the job, right? I mean, I can tell my current boss that I'm quitting?" The feelings of joy and relief I felt at that moment are hard to describe. It's like finding out that you beat cancer.

I walked back into the building, sat down at my laptop, and typed up my letter of resignation. I remember my whole body shaking in fear and anticipation of handing it to John. I believe I handed it in that day during our one-on-one, just shortly after the other SE handed in his.

John looked it over, made a big sigh, and asked me to follow him to another manager's office. We all sat down and they asked me if I was serious and where I was going. I said yes, and told them who hired me. They looked surprised. They asked if there is anything they could do to change my mind. It took me about .1 seconds to say, "No".

Best. Day. Ever.

As you said, you had to be there to really understand the stuff that went on. It was a learning experience, but I think it brought many of us together. As you said on the phone yourself, that was a once-in-a-lifetime work environment. How I miss kitty eyes.

Code Monkey said...

Haha.

Nice anecdote. As I recall from a previous telling of this story, John was starting to say something like "So-and-so turned in his letter of resignation today. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong!"

At which point you handed him yours as well.

The meeting we had after, where John and his cohort pulled us all into a room and told us "We need you guys to tell us if you're looking for new jobs." was just so laughable it bordered on satire.

Shaun said...

I don't think a fully objective account of your experience would make good reading. A main theme of the story (going on the title of the book, which you haven't revealed here), I think, is the degree at which you and others were dehumanized. How can this theme come across when the story sounds like it's being told by a fuckin' robot? We're humans, we get angry.

Adam said...

I think it's fair to say that between the couple of us who have posted here (and we all know who we are), the level of anger in the SE room was borderline homicidal. That kind of pure, raw, barely controlled anger is just beautiful.

I miss Code Monkey's anger face, accompanied by precisely controlled peck movements. Those silenced the meeting room of several occasions. I miss Shaun's hands-to-the-temples, teeth-grinding, PM-killing rage which had cleared my desk of all my personal items on at least two occasions. I miss The Snack Master's anger-turned-to-binge-eating, which also cleared my desk of all my personal belongings when I called him out on it. Lastly, I miss the rage I felt in the presence of the management. The only thing that kept me going were the purely aesthetically motivated hiring decisions in the PM and CSM departments.

Unknown said...

I find it interesting that a person would make a judgement call on your objectivity in whole based on a small excerpt in a blog about an entire book without at least observing the rest of the blog or asking for more of the book. That's a mighty reactionary step for such a small piece of writing.
I might question that persons objectivity instead for reaching a conclusion based on a very small sampling of experience with you.

For instance if I had written that piece it would be more likely that someone would have thought I was a homicidal maniac rather than merely a blind with rage, incapable of seeing the big picture, narrow minded untrustworthy fool. I wouldn't have pulled the punches you did and it would have been necessary for me from a cathartic sense.

If that person had been there they might have had a different opinion but coming to the conclusion that Code Monkey is damaged goods because he wrote this one thing is a pretty damning reaction. Now if you've done several things to lead to that conclusion well then I'm the guy jumping to conclusions.

Code Monkey said...

I don't know if that's entirely fair to the person in question. In fact, I only *didn't* identify him or repost his email as I was to impatient to email and ask permission. I didn't want to publish something sent only via email, though I doubt he'd mind.

As I said in this original post, I feel it was fair criticism and it's important for me to know how people who *weren't* there react to what I'm writing. We all were. The challenge is to convey what we felt and why to those who weren't.

I'm thankful for his feedback and don't feel it was a knee-jerk judgment on his part at all.

Also, curious, where did you feel I pulled punches? I think it's pretty vitriolic, though it's fair. I certainly didn't pull any punches on purpose.